As you now know, I went as Joan Holloway. My costume included a can of spray-in temporary hair dye, gold pen necklace, black/pearl brooch, a black 60s rocket bra, a genuine 1960s black velvet gown, red nail polish and light gray 60s slingbacks.
Prices: $4 for the hair dye, $18 for the necklace, $2 for the brooch, $1 for the nail polish, $4 for the black rocket bra, $6 for the hair dye, the dress was free from my great aunt and $3 for the shoes.
Total costume cost= $38
I'm thinking of possibly going as Betty for Halloween, but I think I made a pretty good Joan! What I love about her character is her curves---she is by no means a pencil, but that is what makes her sexy! So I embraced my curves and went for it--so glad I did!
Mad Men Drinking Game
This is a fairly basic game and all you need are some episodes of Mad Men (available on Netflix or DVD/Blu-ray), some drinks and these rules:
- For every sexist comment made, guys take 1 drink.
- If Pete Campbell gets shot down, take 1 drink.
- For every cigarette lit, take 1 drink.
- If Betty gets angry at someone, take 1 drink.
- For every time Roger cracks a joke, take 1 drink.
- If Bert Cooper takes his shoes off, take 1 drink.
- If someone cries, take 1 drink.
- For every time Peggy seems frustrated with her job, take 1 drink.
A word of caution---we all went through about 4-5 drinks doing this game...so be prepared!
The party was such a success, I think I'll have another one next year after season six :) I hope you enjoy and feel free to comment or leave suggestions for more Mad Men party ideas!